Under general guidance of the Laboratory Medical Director and/or the Laboratory Manager, this position will support the clinical laboratory in, but not limited to:
- Perform venipuncture and skin puncture on neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients, withdrawing blood for various test procedures.
- Will distribute specimens to the appropriate testing area in the laboratory.
- May be called upon to perform specimen processing, centrifugation of patient samples, and preparation of patient samples to be sent out to the reference laboratory, noting particular specimen requirements, especially shipping temperature requirements.
Experience, Skills and Abilities
- Two years experience as a Phlebotomist preferred, ideally in a hospital setting.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Computer literate in Windows based systems.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail and accuracy.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office. Intermediate abilities in Word and Excel.
- Must be able to withstand stressful situations.
Education and Training
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Effective February 2006 must be certified as a phlebotomist under R-16-99 in the State of California.
- BLS certification required within 90 days of employment
- Must be able to sit and/or stand and view computer screen for long periods of time.
- Must be flexible and able to assume a bending position, when necessary, in order to obtain blood specimens.
- Ability to lift at least 25 pounds.
BEAR VALLEY COMMUNITY HEALTHCARE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER