Bear Valley Community Healthcare District (BVCHD) shall utilize interpreters for patients who are not fluent in the English language.
- Determine if staff with appropriate knowledge of situation/medical terminology/procedure are who are fluent in the patient’s language are available to act as an interpreter.
- Staff or family member may assist with providing limited, simple interpreting/translation services or in emergency situations.
- The name of the family member/friend used as an interpreter as well as the patient’s permission to have family/friend interpret should be documented in the patient’s health record. Family (at the patient’s request), may interpret simple patient instructions, make appointments, register and verify insurance.
- For consents, explanations of new or complicated diagnoses, and quality/end of life issues, interpreters should be used in the following order of availability:
- Certified in person interpreter
- Language Phone Interpreter
- Language Line contact number: 1-800-628-8486 (Client ID# 295237)
- Upon connection with language assistance line please follow the prompts provided to utilize translation services.
- The name of the person providing interpretation shall be documented in the medical record.